Wednesday, September 24, 2008

5.2 Possible Project Idea

Organizational communication is such a broad topic that I'm still unsure of exactly what I would like do the project on. One of the areas I'm interested in is diversity. I think I'd like to better understand how managers are dealing with the increasing diversity within their groups. It's not uncommon to have groups where half the people are not fluent in English and I'm sure it's a challenge for managers. Diversity is so prominent in work groups these days and this is something all managers need to be aware of and handle effectively. I'd like to do some research to see how managers handle and react to the challenges of diverse groups. Some research questions I would ask myself include:

Do managers communicate more effectively with employees that have similar backgrounds to them?
Do managers spend extra time /effort to ensure that those who are, for example, not fluent in English understand the message?
Do managers use email as the primary medium to communicate within very diverse groups?

I'm also interested to see how much information is available on this topic...

No comments: