Wednesday, September 10, 2008

3.3 Technology & Equal Participation

Page 363 of our textbook discusses how technology has had a positive effect on stimulating equal participation within organizations. I agree with this, I think people feel more comfortable openly sharing ideas and thoughts on a conference call for example. I have notices that large meetings are often dominated by a few key people. Those that are shy, more junior, nervous, or afraid to voice their opinions do not speak up for fear of being wrong or sounding stupid.  During conference calls, video conferences, email, etc. people are more likely to speak out and share ideas. I think in this way technology has really helped organizations because it brings in participation from all areas and has succeeded in making people comfortable in sharing their thoughts.

1 comment:

cathyblog08 said...

The concept of "equal participation" also caught my attention. I had never thought of it but I certainly have experienced it. It seems that in face to face meetings, people that are more extravert tend to speak and dominate the meetings more than introvert people. It is a natural process.
Similarly if I think of myself in the context of this online class, I have shared my ideas more and participated to this online class discussion about the chapters more than I would normally do it in a classic class setting.
Another example that comes to my mind, which I think is worth mentioning is when I have to deal with emotional people. These people would instantly fire an angry email or be yelling on a conference call but when I meet these people face to face, they are nicer all of a sudden. It's almost like people have an easier time expressing their feeling via a machine than they do face to face.