Thursday, September 18, 2008

4.4 Rewards

Box 3.7 discusses how organizations want people to be intrinsically motivated to do their work and dedicated to the organizations, yet the rewards are extrinsic -- status and money.  Organizations also emphasize the importance of teamwork, but we are rewarded based on our individual success.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this because there is no other better way to reward people.  Salaries, bonuses, promotions, etc. have to be based on individual efforts because these are the major things that motivate people, at least here in the U.S.  For example, at the company I work for we are given bonuses at the end of the year and it's based on individual performance and company performance.  This is one of the major motivation factors for me, and I do a lot of extra work because I know my bonus will reflect this.  

We have discussed in some of my other courses how it's different in other countries such as Japan, where they're completely dedicated to the company they work for.  The focus is on teamwork and giving their best for their organization and in turn the organization guarantees employment for life, perhaps this promotes more of the teamwork/dedication goals...

No comments: