Saturday, October 4, 2008

6.5 Another marketing technique

Companies often try to project this image of being completely committed to their customers and hsving customer service as their number one priority.  After reading Box 5.8 on page 128, I couldn't help laughing because the excerpts sounded so fake.  I think that there are many employees out there that are focused on their company's goals and strive to provide the best customer service, but most often this is not the case.  Further, I think that stories such as those presented in Box 5.8 make it difficult for the reader to take them seriously because they don't sound "real or genuine."  I doubt that this is the actual "voice of the employee."  While it's possible that American Airlines provides excellent customer service, I don't think these stories help illustrate this.  It's just another marketing technique to try and present the organization as having a certain desired image.

2 comments:

violet said...

In my last part time job, I was a line server. Once a month the supervisors held a meeting where they asked us about what changes do we think need to be implemented and what our opinions were about the set up and menu's. But they never applied our suggestions and did anything about our opinions so why bother to ask if you actually not going to do anything about it. I believe it was just a rule made by the upper management and the supervisors just followed it for the heck of it. I think they should stop doing that and save everyone's time

zamoradesign said...

I can understand your cynicism about the short stories provided in Box 5.8, Voices of the Employee. Rarely do the commercials and posters turn into actual moments for me the customer. And yet, I’m sure that these stories were real. I know that there are people in large organizations that love their job and enjoy delivering their product to the customer. I can only hope that these employees joined the company to provide a service or product to spread the good word about who they are and why they might be the “best”. Don’t we smile or find ourselves enjoying the product more when we have an experience that meets the commercial half ways? Don’t we here the soundtrack playing in the background as we drive away in our new shiny, beautiful, environmentally conscious hybrid? Don’t we get excited as we tell our friends about the salesperson that treated us as if we were the only customers? Doesn’t the meal taste better when we feel the waitress: smiled at us; never let our water glass slip past half way; remarked on the color of your coat; through a small side of chips because the meal took a few minutes longer?